18 Jan WHEN GOD IS SILENT
Has there been a time when you just wanted to hear God speak to you so clearly but He seems silent?
I’ve been there a number of times. I didn’t even mind picking up books teaching me how to be led by God’s Spirit. I just wanted to hear God. Especially as you grow older, there are many decisions to make and the leading of God would definitely make things better.
There’s good news! God is more willing to communicate with you than you are willing to hear from Him. He is ready, proactive and willing to lead you.
In 2018, I listened to messages that provided the much-needed answers regarding being led by God even when He seems silent and it’s only right to help another person.
So here’s a glimpse of a message from a four-part series on Metronome: In pace with God by Pastor Iren of Celebration Church Int’l. This one is titled “When God is silent”.
I know you’ve had that thought when it seems like you are on your own with making decisions, but you don’t have to repeat such confusing moments.
• You must honour the Word of God above your experience.
• God is capable of communicating with His creations (living or non-living) and even situations. He can get your attention. He is majestic like that.
• Instead of emphasising your own ability to hear God, focus on God’s ability to communicate.
You can check out these experiences from your Bible to have a better understanding of God being a master communicator: Moses & the burning bush from Exodus 3; Nebuchadnezzar and the dream about the future kingdoms from Daniel 2 and Pharoah and the dream about the economy from Genesis 41.
On hearing God speak as a believer:
• From the scriptures above, you realise that God spoke to even sinners; so how much more you, His own child! Being led by God is not an issue for you as a believer, even in practical areas of your life.
• God has the ability to gain the attention of the untrained. Quit thinking that there is a depth you need or a height to attain for you to hear God.
How can you be led by God?
• Yield to Him. You can start by telling Him that you’re open to being led.
• Create an atmosphere that will help you discern His leading, for example by praying and fasting as experienced in Acts 13: 1-3.
• God’s leading can also come through people. Learn to pray with your friends, your circle/tribe and receive instructions for one another. Don’t forget Daniel’s experience in Daniel 2 earlier mentioned.
What do you do when it looks like God is being silent?
• Prepare. Don’t be obsessed with what God said He will do through you that when it happens you are not prepared. Let the happening meet you prepared.
• Learn to wait. You can’t force it. If it’s not time, it is not time.
• Follow the Word of God. If you really want to hear God’s audible voice, read the Bible out loud. The Will of God has been communicated via His Word; you must be able to search the Word of God and know His mind about a subject.
Most times, the answers to your questions are in His Word. Psalm 119:105
• If the answers to your questions are not explicitly stated in the Bible, there will be a guide on what is right. His Word gives you wisdom and you should be willing to obey.
• Be responsible. Act on the will of God already established in His Word. Even when you believe for a miracle to happen, you must be responsible regarding the natural aspects of life also.
You’ve got the Holy Spirit.
As a child of God, there is power at work in you! Within you, there are leadings and inclinations.
You function in discernment, even for the people around you. You are not confused. Speak it to yourself and walk in that reality. Leading seeks you and you are led by God in all things. How fortunate we are as His children!
God can do anything, you know – far more than you could ever imagine or guess or request in your wildest dreams! He does it not by pushing us around but by working within us, His Spirit deeply and gently within us.
Ephesians 3:20 MSG
Whew! This was supposed to be a glimpse of the message but it’s super packed with lessons I had to share.
You should listen to the whole series and you would be glad you did: Inclinations, Zeal & leadings, Leading seeks you, When God is silent & Reconfigure.
Have you’ve learned about God leading you or an experience? Please leave a comment and help shorten the learning curve for another person. Thanks.
Don’t forget to share and subscribe.